Do you want to learn how to draw with colored pencils?
There are two things you need, the first one is having the proper art supplies, and the second is learning the basic techniques. Here are some tips to help you get started.
Not all colored pencils are the same. These can be classified into Scholastic, Student, or Artist grade, the difference is in the amount of pigment each one has. More pigment means it will produce brighter and richer colors, you will also find it much easier and more pleasurable to work with than lowered grade pencils. Artist grade colored pencils are more expensive but it gives more value for your money, as they say, "you get what you pay for."
FAQ: What kind of colored pencils should I avoid?
FAQ: What kind of colored pencils do you recommend for beginners on a tight budget?
FAQ: What kind of ARTIST GRADE colored pencils did you use when you were a beginner?
FAQ: Are there any other brands to choose from?
Koh-I-noor Polycolor, Faber-Castell Polychromos, Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor, Caran d'ache Pablo, Derwent Coloursoft.
FAQ: Should I buy a large or a small set of colored pencils?
You can start with just a set of 24 colors, as you gain experience and your skills progress, you can purchase a larger set and also try out different brands.
FAQ: I'm following a book/video tutorial and my set of colored pencils doesn't have the colors indicated in the lesson, what should I do?
You can find the closest color substitute in your set or you can buy individual colors (open stocks).
FAQ: What are the qualities of an artist grade colored pencil?
1. Highly pigmented — Colors will be more vivid and are much easier to apply.
2. Easy to blend — Leads are soft and blends nicely.
3. Lightfast — Colors will not fade easily.
COLORED PENCIL BUYING GUIDE
1. As much as possible, buy the best quality colored pencil you can afford.
2. If you are buying a set, check if there are duplicates or missing colors.
3. Make sure the pencils are not crooked or bent and that the leads are centered.
4. Buy from a reputable online or physical art store where well-informed staffs can assist you if you have any questions.
COLORED PENCIL COMPARISON
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this topic or anything about colored pencils. Have a nice day!
Sharing with you my knowledge and experience in the art of colored pencils.
Your colour pencil drawings are an inspiration to me as you show what can be done with these pencils and introduce a variety of colours which I would not think of using. Thank you. --Valerie Clare